Current Job Openings
About the Hospital
AIC Kapsowar Mission Hospital is a 130-bed teaching and referral facility located in Elgeyo Marakwet County that delivers Christ-centered, compassionate health care to patients from all parts of Kenya. The hospital performs over 1,800 surgical procedures per year and sees over 40,000 outpatients. Its owned and operated under the Africa Inland Church (AIC) – Kenya. It has an onsite Medical Training College, training nurses and perioperative technologist at diploma level, is a teaching site for family medicine as well as general surgery residents.
The hospital is actively pursuing plans to expand and improve infrastructure including housing, ward space, and other clinical areas of the hospital. Additionally, the hospital is launching a series of new healthcare training programs, including a unique surgical team development program designed to expand surgical capacity in under-resourced areas of sub-saharan Africa. The individuals must have the experience, skills, and initiative to support the planned expansion efforts.
We are seeking to recruit value-based mission driven individuals with a high degree of professionalism to fill the positions of Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Medical Specialist on contractual basis.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Purpose: to support the improvement of the hospital’s financial systems and processes to enable enhanced reporting and management decision making.
Reporting to the Hospital Director, s/he will be a member of the hospital senior management team and will be the head of finance and administration. The CFO is expected to be proactive and collaborative, working closely with the hospital senior management team and all other members of the hospital staff to advance the hospital’s strategic plan and related initiatives and operations.
Key Responsibilities are:
- Works with the hospital CEO, senior management team and hospital board to develop sound financial goals and objectives for the hospital.
- Provides proactive guidance regarding management of assets and future infrastructure investments by monitoring financial trends within the facility.
- Works with department managers and administrative staff to implement financial plans and productivity benchmarks and monitors progress toward financial goals.
- Works actively with hospital management towards enhanced performance assessments and promotes the growth of a team-oriented culture.
- In conjunction with other senior administrative leaders works to implement and refine the existing five-year strategic financial plan for the hospital as part of the hospital’s strategic planning process.
- Employs a system of responsible accounting, including budget and internal controls.
- Ensures that monthly financial statements and bi-weekly productivity reports are distributed on a timely basis working closely with the hospital’s finance manger
- Ensures that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis and a system of internal controls are in place to facilitate a clean audit opinion.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of Kenyan taxation laws and other government related financial requirements and obligations.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of health insurance reimbursement (NHIF and private insurance schemes) payment methodologies, payment calculations, billing requirements and compliance issues. Building contacts and close relationships with NHIF regional and national leadership as well as with private insurance schemes.
- Shows deep commitment to working with partner mission organizations that seek to prioritise services for the poor and needy in Kenya and surrounding countries.
- Design and manage the implementation of effective patient financial services and maximizing cash flow consistent with sound credit and collection policies while maintaining good rapport with the community.
- Review and keep up to date hospital insurance policies to ascertain that hospital assets are properly insured against loss and that the hospital’s liability coverage is maintained appropriately.
- Monitors capital asset expenditures and depreciation; prepares annual operating budgets with input from the finance manager and involvement at the departmental level, as well as capital budgets and cash flow projections; arranges lines of credit and maintains proper banking relations, relationships with auditors and pension scheme advisors.
- May oversee other administrative departments, as required, such as hospital transport, procurement, catering services and maintenance with the goal of improving efficiency and driving these departments to towards outcomes that are showing cost savings for the hospital. This work would involve close working relationships with department in charges.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or commerce or business administration
- Masters in Business Administration, Finance or a Healthcare Administration related field
- Professional qualifications in CPA (K) ACCA, ACA or any other recognized professional accounting qualification;
- Should be a member of ICPAK or equivalent internationally recognized professional body
- Minimum twelve (12) years of experience out of which five (5) must have been in a senior management role in a similar healthcare organization.
- As a Mission Hospital with strong Christian values, it is essential that any candidate can show evidence of an active Christian faith and character references pointing to a history of working with integrity
- Must have knowledge in use of MS office packages, accounting softwares as well as ERP
- Knowledge of the NHIF program is a strong positive
MEDICAL SPECIALIST WITH ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE SKILLS
Purpose: To provide specialist medical care in area of specialization so as to enhance delivery of quality care; strengthen academic medicine and to provide medical administration/leadership. This position reports to the Medical Director or in his absence reports directly to the Hospital CEO. Both the Medical Director and CEO will provide a mentoring and training component to the academic and administrative roles. The division of time in the clinical role vs the academic leadership / administrative roles is anticipated to be on 50:50 basis. The clinical roles will be guided by the scope of practice defined by KMPDC and require some shared call with other medical specialists at the hospital. (detailed job description will be provided)
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- A duly licensed Medical Specialist in one of the following; Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Pediatrics with at least 5 years’ clinical practice experience.
- Is registered or registerable with Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council (KMPDC)
- Strong interest and capability in academic medicine involving teaching of medical students or residents or interns. Previous appointments at a university or in academic program coordination would be beneficial.
- An interest and shown capability in elements of hospital administration, oversight of hospital departments and skill in implementation of organizational change.
- Strong skills in digital communication and some experience in use of electronic records systems.
- Shown ability in good verbal communication and the ability to work well with teams of medical workers and physicians where collaboration and cultural sensitivity is important in decision making. Kapsowar Hospital staff is largely Kenyan but a significant proportion of the physician staff are western trained volunteer missionary staff so cultural sensitivity is required.
- Evidence of a commitment to a personal Christian faith, active church life and references showing a history of integrity and Christian living.
If you fit the profile of these positions, please submit your application including a cover letter, current and expected salary, curriculum vitae, copies of your academic and professional certificates, identification documents, email and telephone contacts of three (3) references who are familiar with your qualifications and/or work experience (one should be from a church leader). Interested applicants should submit applications by email only to the Hospital Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be received by 20th November 2023 at 1700hrs EAT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Find out more about the hospital and this role on www.kapsowarhospital.org